I’ve been giving homemade food gifts at the holidays ever since I was a kid, when I’d box up packages of fudge and hot chocolate spoons for my entire family. From hot sauce to homemade bread, edible gifts are economical, personal and, of course, delicious. Granola is one of my go-to gifting recipes because it is endlessly customizable and keeps well in the pantry. Use your favorite dried fruits, nuts and spices to make your own signature blend.
Lemon Blueberry Granola
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried blueberries
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt together butter and honey.
3. In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts and salt. Pour butter mixture over the top and stir well to coat.
4. Spread evenly onto baking sheets and bake 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
5. Immediately after removing from oven, scatter on dried blueberries and lemon zest and pat down gently with a spatula. This will help the ingredients adhere and cluster as the granola cools.
6. Let cool completely, then break into pieces and store in airtight containers or glass jars for gifting.
Makes 5 cups.