- Contestants must be current 10th-, 11th- or 12th-graders at a school in Big Country Electric Cooperative’s service area: Borden, Fisher, Garza, Haskell, Jones, Kent, Mitchell, Nolan, Scurry, Shackelford, Stonewall and Throckmorton counties.
- Household membership in Big Country EC is not required for students to compete in the Youth Tour contest.
- Previous Youth Tour winners are not eligible.
- Immediate family members of co-op directors or employees are not eligible.
Application may be submitted via web form at bigcountry.coop by clicking Service Beyond Electricity, then Youth Tour. If you prefer, you may download the printable version and email to Sarah McLen at email@example.com or fax to (325) 776-2246. Applications are due by 5 p.m., Thursday, January 24, 2019.
- Once your application is received, you will receive an email with a link to the BCEC Youth Tour 2019 closed group to post your application video. Videos will be viewable only by the group of Youth Tour applicants, not the public.
- Videos must be uploaded by 10 p.m., Thursday, January 31, 2019. Please include your name in the video’s title (e.g., “Title of My Video by John Smith”).
Video Topic and Scoring
This year’s topic is: Compare how electricity and the internet have changed society and everyday life for rural Americans. How will they continue to do so? Be unique, be creative, learn something and have fun!
- Winners will be scored using the following criteria: knowledge of subject, 40 percent; presentation, 40 percent; overall presentation quality, 10 percent; and poise, personality and appearance, 10 percent.
- Videos must have a minimum duration of three minutes but be no longer than five minutes.
- Multiple applicants cannot submit the same video. If your name is on the application, it’s your video. The video must be your original creation.
Three winning contestants will be chosen by an independent panel of judges to represent BCEC on the Government-in-Action Youth Tour in Washington, D.C., June 12–21, 2019. An alternate also will be chosen in the event a winner cannot make the trip. Each winner and the alternate also will receive a $1,500 scholarship from Big Country EC and will be notified by email or phone by noon, Monday, February 11, 2019.
Contact Sarah McLen at (325) 776-3803 or firstname.lastname@example.org.