High school students: Apply to Big Country Electric Cooperative’s Youth Tour contest, and you could be headed to Austin and Washington, D.C., next summer for an all-expenses-paid tour of our nation’s capital.
- Contestants must be in 10th, 11th or 12th grade at a school in Big Country EC’s service area, which includes Borden, Fisher, Garza, Haskell, Jones, Kent, Mitchell, Nolan, Scurry, Shackelford, Stonewall and Throckmorton counties.
- Students’ parents/guardians do not have to be members of Big Country EC in order to compete in and win the Youth Tour contest.
- Previous Youth Tour contest winners and immediate family members of BCEC directors and employees are not eligible to participate.
Applications may be submitted online at bigcountry.coop by clicking on Service Beyond Electricity and then Youth Tour. If you prefer, you may download a printable version and submit it to Sarah McLen at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (325) 776-2246. Applications are due by Thursday, January 21, 2021.
- Once your application is received, you will receive an email with a link to the BCEC Youth Tour 2021 closed group to post your application video. Videos will only be available to the group of Youth Tour applicants, not the public.
- Videos must be uploaded by 8 p.m. Thursday, January 28, 2021. Please include your name with the title (e.g. “Title of my Video by John Smith”).
Video Topic and Scoring
- This year’s topic is: 20/20 represents perfect vision, but we can all agree that 2020 was not the year anyone envisioned. Life changed quickly for most of us due to COVID-19 precautions, not to mention a variety of other matters. Using lessons you learned firsthand in 2020, create a three-minute video illustrating why reliable electricity is critical for the future of rural America.
- Be unique, be creative, be yourself and have fun!
- Winners will be selected on a competitive basis, with equal weight given to the creators’ knowledge of the subject and the quality of the video presentation.
- Multiple applicants cannot submit the same video. The video must be your own original creation.
Three winners will be chosen by an independent panel of judges to represent BCEC on the Government-in-Action Youth Tour trip to Washington, June 13–22, 2021. An alternate will be chosen in the event a winner cannot make the trip. Each contestant will be notified of results by email or phone by 5 p.m. Wednesday, February 10, 2021.
Big Country EC also plans to donate $500 to the school whose students submit the most application videos.
Contact Sarah McLen at (325) 776-3803 or email@example.com.