Join Login Search
For Electric Cooperative Members
For Electric Cooperative Members

Practical Pointers for Electrical Safety Month

Eliminating hazards doesn’t have to be difficult

May is National Electrical Safety Month, and your electric cooperative is working to raise awareness about potential home electrical hazards and the importance of electrical safety.

Our modern lives depend on electricity, and if you don’t properly maintain your electrical products, they can create hazards. The good news is that eliminating electrical hazards from your home doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive.

Many homes and their electrical systems were built before most modern-day home electronics and appliances were even invented. Today’s increased demand for energy can overburden an older home’s electrical system. If you notice flickering or dimming lights, it may indicate your home’s wiring is inadequate for your needs. Have it checked by an electrician.

Your electric cooperative offers the following tips to help identify and eliminate electrical hazards to protect yourself, your family and your home:

  • Make sure televisions, game systems and computer equipment have plenty of space around them for ventilation.
  • Use extension cords as temporary solutions only.
  • Do not place extension cords in high-traffic areas or under carpets.
  • Use a surge protector to help protect your computer, televisions and other electronic equipment from damage caused by voltage changes.
  • Heavy reliance on power strips is an indication that you have too few outlets for address your needs. Have additional outlets installed by a licensed electrician.
  • Keep liquids away from electrical items such as televisions and computers.
  • Make sure a lightbulbs wattage is right for the fixture. Lightbulbs with wattages that are too high for the fixture can overheat and cause a fire.
  • Create a guide for your breaker box so that you know which breaker to turn off when needed.
  • Recurring tripped circuit breakers or multiple blown fuses can signify a serious and dangerous electrical problem. Contact a licensed electrician immediately.

As always, we encourage you and your family to stay safe.