Cupcakes are riding waves of trendiness, but for us they’re classic. There’s just something about a plate of cupcakes that brings a smile to your face, whether you’re celebrating a birthday, graduation or holiday. These cupcakes, inspired by the classic confection, are my favorite Valentine’s Day treat, but they’re great for any special day.
8 ounces strawberries, divided use
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Cupcakes Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with 18 paper liners.
2. Stem, halve and purée half the strawberries to yield about 1/2 cup of strawberry purée. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then mix in vanilla and strawberry purée until blended and smooth.
5. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl between additions and make sure everything is incorporated before the next addition. Beat batter until smooth.
6. Divide batter among prepared cups. Bake 20–25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Icing Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium-high. Add the chocolate chips to a bowl. Once cream is lightly bubbling, remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Whisk to melt until completely smooth. Let cool until slightly thickened.
8. Holding a cupcake upside down, lower it into the chocolate, twisting to evenly coat. Lift and let excess drip back into the bowl, then flip and place on rack to set. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
9. Slice remaining strawberries into halves and place one half on top of each cupcake. Let cupcakes rest until chocolate is firm.
Makes 18 cupcakes.