2018 Holiday Recipe Contest Winner: $250 Honorable Mention
Jileen Platt | Bowie-Cass EC
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, broken into pieces
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 drops green food coloring
2 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate, broken into pieces
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and apply nonstick spray to a 16-by-10 1/2-inch jelly roll pan.
2. Brownies: Place the chocolate and butter in a medium microwaveable bowl. Melt in microwave 1 minute. Remove bowl from microwave and stir mixture until chocolate is completely melted. If needed, return bowl to microwave and heat 30 seconds longer. Set aside.
3. In a large stand mixer, beat together eggs and sugar. Add flour and mix on low until only a few white streaks remain. Pour in melted chocolate mixture while mixer is on low and mix until just combined.
4. Pour mixture on prepared jelly roll pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Place pan in oven and bake approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and let cool completely.
5. Frosting: In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add milk, peppermint and food coloring. Beat until well combined. Spread frosting on cooled brownie layer and place in refrigerator to chill.
6. Drizzle: Place the bittersweet chocolate and butter in a small microwaveable bowl. Melt mixture in microwave 1 minute. Remove bowl from microwave and stir mixture until chocolate is completely melted. If needed, return bowl to microwave and heat 30 seconds longer.
7. Remove pan from refrigerator. Using a small spoon, drizzle melted chocolate mixture diagonally, horizontally and vertically until all chocolate is used. Return pan to refrigerator and let chill completely. When ready to serve, cut the bars into 1 1/2–2-inch squares.
Makes about 30 squares.