Ivan Remley | Bluebonnet EC
Adults can take care of the chopping while little hands do the mashing and mixing of this fresh guacamole. Don’t limit yourself to eating it with just chips or tacos—Ivan, 14, recommends serving with fresh veggies such as sliced radishes, carrots and cucumbers or even kale chips.
1/2 onion, diced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1–2 limes, divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
3 avocados, divided use
1. In a large bowl, stir together the onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, 1 tablespoon lime juice and salt.
2. Slice two avocados in half lengthwise, making one long cut around the pit. Separate the halves and remove the pits. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh and add to the mixture in the bowl.
3. Mash and stir everything together, until the ingredients are well combined.
4. Slice the third avocado lengthwise, separate the halves and remove the pit. With a small knife, cut the flesh into small cubes. Scoop out the cubes and add them to the bowl with the avocado mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice and fold the avocado cubes in just enough for a slightly chunky texture.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning with lime juice and salt as needed.
Makes about 2 cups.