Jan White | Houston County EC
1/2 purple onion, diced
4 pickled pepperoncini peppers, drained and diced (reserve 1 tablespoon pepperoncini juice for the sauce)
1 can chopped black olives (2.25 ounces), drained
1/4 pound hard salami, diced
1/4 pound deli ham, diced
1/4 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
1/4 pound deli-sliced roast turkey, diced
1/4 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese, diced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
10- to 12-inch round loaf of bread, hollowed out
8 hoagie rolls, cut into quarters
1. Combine the onion, pepperoncini, olives, meats and cheese in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the pepperoncini juice, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, olive oil, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes until evenly combined.
3. Pour the dressing over meat mixture and toss until the ingredients are coated. Cover and chill until ready to serve. (This can be made up to a day in advance.)
4. Just before serving, cut the top off the bread loaf and carve out the center to make a bowl. Cut the removed top part into pieces.
5. To serve, add the tomatoes and lettuce to the meat mixture. Serve the hoagie dip in the bread bowl, using the extra bread and hoagie rolls to scoop up the creamy filling.