Barbara Reiss | Pedernales EC
Taste the plums before making this; their sweetness will determine the amount of sugar to use.
3/4–1 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of plums
1 pinch kosher salt
3/4 cup water
3 cups peeled, pitted and chopped red plums (about 3–4 large plums)
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chilled dry white wine, such as sauvignon blanc
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, dissolve sugar and salt in water, then bring syrup to a boil.
2. Stir in plums and cook, stirring frequently, while mashing plums with a potato masher until the mixture is the consistency of very thick honey, about 5–10 minutes.
3. Let cool, then purée using a standard or immersion blender. Pour mixture into a bowl that has a pour spout and refrigerate 2–3 hours or overnight.
4. Once chilled, add juice, zest, vanilla and cinnamon to mixture. Whisk to blend well.
5. Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. After about 15 minutes (when mixture is beginning to freeze), pour wine into mixture slowly. Process until entire mixture is frozen. Serve immediately, or transfer to another container to freeze.
Makes 2 pints.