Helen Counts | Grayson-Collin EC
Counts’ Puff Oven Pancake is also known as a Dutch baby, a large, fluffy pancake that’s whisked together in minutes and bakes into a billowy show-stealer. Vary the toppings to suit your mood or occasion. Sprinkle with Parmesan or Gruyère for a savory bite, or top with fresh fruit and powdered sugar.
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
Fresh fruit or berries
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, briefly beat the eggs. Whisk in milk, flour, sugar and salt until fairly smooth (do not over mix). Cover the batter and let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Place the butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, or similarly sized baking dish, and heat in oven until melted. Swirl skillet to coat the bottom and sides with melted butter.
4. Pour batter into skillet and bake 15–20 minutes, or until it rises very high and is billowy on the edges and golden brown.
5. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Place fruit in the center crevice of pancake and dust with powdered sugar.