Cindy Jarrott | Bryan Texas Utilities
1 package rapid-rise dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1/4 cup honey
5 1/2 cups flour, divided use
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
12 ounces Shiner Bock beer, room temperature
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1. In a large, nonmetal mixing bowl, dissolve yeast with warm water, add honey and stir to combine. Allow yeast to activate and begin to bloom. Add 4 cups flour, salt, oil, beer and beaten eggs. Stir with wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
2. Turn out dough onto heavily floured surface. Knead remaining flour into the dough 10–15 minutes. The dough will be sticky; knead until it’s smooth and it “comes back” when poked with a finger.
3. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and roll to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place until doubled in size. When dough has doubled, punch down in the middle and let rest 5 more minutes.
4. Divide dough into 3-inch rolls. Smooth each, place on baking sheets and brush lightly with melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise a second time until again doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 30–35 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with remaining melted butter and cover with waxed paper until cooled.
Makes 8–12 rolls.