4 sirloin steaks (8 ounces each), trimmed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon granulated onion
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon minced white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fat-free buttermilk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
Vegetable oil for frying
1 medium red onion, sliced into rings about 1⁄8 inch thick
Flour for coating
3 romaine hearts, torn into leaves
- Season steaks with salt and pepper. Mix thyme, oregano, granulated onion, cumin and paprika. Rub mix onto steaks at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours before grilling.
- Grill steaks to desired doneness and keep warm.
- Whisk raisins, mayonnaise, minced onion, garlic, buttermilk, lemon juice, cilantro and blue cheese together. Set aside.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Deep fat thermometer should register 325 degrees.
- Dredge onion rings in flour and fry in oil until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels and season lightly with salt.
- Divide romaine among 4 dinner plates and spoon dressing on lettuce. Thinly slice steaks and arrange on dressed romaine. Garnish with fried onion rings. Pass around any remaining dressing.
Servings: 4. Serving size: 1/4 salad. Per serving: 872 calories, 59.4 g protein, 44.4 g fat, 50.2 g carbohydrates, 4.4 g dietary fiber, 1,166 mg sodium, 26.6 g sugars, 193 mg cholesterol
Cindy James, Pedernales Electric Cooperative