Kittiele Potts | Bowie-Cass EC
This light and fresh take on beef is great for August heat. The steak cooks quickly on the grill, so you won’t overheat (and neither will your kitchen). A versatile recipe, it easily doubles to serve more, and you can use other fruits besides strawberries, depending on your tastes and what’s in season. Try peach, mango or kiwi for a different twist.
1 pound flank steak
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
5 large strawberries, chopped
2 fresh pineapple rings, chopped
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
1/2 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped red onion
6 flour tortillas
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Place the steak in a resealable plastic bag and add the red wine vinegar, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Let steak marinate 6 hours in a refrigerator.
2. In a bowl, combine the strawberries, pineapple, cilantro, jalapeño, and lime and lemon juices.
3. In a nonstick skillet, add the olive oil and red onion. Sauté until onion is tender and translucent. Drain onion on a paper towel and add to bowl, tossing all ingredients thoroughly.
4. Remove steak from marinade. Place on a grill at medium heat. Grill 7 minutes on each side or until steak reaches desired level of doneness. Slice steak into thin strips.
5. Heat tortillas up by placing them individually on a hot skillet briefly. Fill tortillas with the steak, salsa and feta to make tacos. Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.
Makes 6 tacos.
If you don’t mind the bite of fresh red onion, add it in raw in step 3.