Monica Carlson | Pedernales EC
“My grandfather moved to Texas from Sweden. I was curious about what life in Sweden was like, so I became an exchange student there. Whenever I eat this cake, I feel a connection to my heritage. In fact, some of my cousins from Sweden came to visit, and when I served this cake to them, they said it was just like they would get at home.”
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
1/4 cup blanched, sliced almonds
1/4 cup salted butter (1/2 stick), room temperature
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan, springform pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, and coat bottom and sides with bread crumbs.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt then set aside. In a mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla.
3. With a mixing spoon or heavy-duty scraper, stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Stir in the melted butter. Pour batter into pan and bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
4. Topping: While cake is baking, place almonds in a small saucepan with softened butter, sugar, cream and flour. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let sit, stirring a couple of times, while cake finishes baking.
5. When the cake tests done, remove from oven and increase heat to 375 degrees. Spread almond topping gently over cake, covering as much of the top as you can, and place cake pan on a cookie sheet. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes longer or until the top is bubbly.
6. Let cake cool completely before serving. Cake develops a crackly texture on top when cool.
Servings: 8. Serving size: 1 slice. Per serving: 400 calories, 5.26 g protein, 20.24 g fat, 47.42 g carbohydrates, 1.13 g dietary fiber, 372 mg sodium, 30.69 g sugars, 94 mg cholesterol