These empanadas will be among the first to disappear from the table thanks to their flavorful filling and dipping sauce. If you like, roll the puff pastry out thinner to create more empanadas with the same amount of filling.
1 sheet puff pastry
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups finely chopped cooked brisket
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon water
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons hot sauce
Lime juice, to taste
1. Empanadas Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Thaw puff pastry according to package directions and line two baking sheets with parchment.
2. Pour olive oil into a skillet and heat to medium, then add onion and jalapeño. Cook about 5 minutes, until starting to soften. Add brisket, garlic, barbecue sauce and hot sauce and cook another 3 minutes, stirring to combine well.
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in cheddar cheese until evenly mixed.
4. Roll out puff pastry to a large rectangle, approximately 9 by 12 inches, and cut into 3-inch squares.
5. Whisk together egg and water in a bowl and brush a small amount on edges of pastry squares. Place about 1 tablespoon of brisket filling in the center of each square, then fold over one side, bringing edges together. Crimp edges together with a fork.
6. Arrange empanadas on baking sheets and bake 20 minutes, until light golden brown.
7. Dipping Sauce In a bowl stir together sour cream, barbecue sauce, hot sauce and lime juice.
8. Serve empanadas warm with sauce on the side.
Makes 12–20 empanadas.