8 wide-mouth pint jars with rings and lids
Shortening for greasing
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, mashed and cooled
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Wash and rinse jars and allow to dry. Grease the inside of each with a small amount of shortening.
- About 15 minutes before baking bread, put lids and rings into simmering, but not boiling, water. Leave in hot water until you are ready to seal jars.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Blend sugar and oil together, add eggs and beat well with an electric mixer. Add sweet potatoes and 2/3 cup of water and mix.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices together, add to potato mixture and mix on low until just combined.
- Stir in raisins and pecans. Put 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of batter into each jar and place the jars on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and put seal and ring on. Turn upside down and allow to cool.
- Decorate jar if desired.
Servings: 24. Serving size: 1 slice. Per serving: 349 calories, 4.1 g protein, 14.1 g fat, 52.2 g carbohydrates, 2.3 g dietary fiber, 231 mg sodium, 32.2 g sugars, 27 mg cholesterol
Carole Griggs, Comanche Electric Cooperative