During the holidays, I gravitate toward the side dishes over any turkey or ham. Rolls are always a must at my house, and these Cheesy Ranch Rolls have become a family favorite. They’re wonderfully soft with a zesty flavor, and any leftovers are perfect for sandwiches the next day. For a larger crowd, simply double the recipe.
2 cups flour, divided use, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons (1 packet) ranch seasoning
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk 2 tablespoons
(1/4 stick) butter, plus more for topping
1 cup shredded Gouda or cheddar cheese
1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, ranch seasoning, yeast and salt.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine milk and butter. Microwave in 15-second increments until milk is warm to the touch but not hot. Butter does not need to completely melt; it will melt as you mix the dough.
3. Pour milk and butter into dry ingredients and mix well to combine. Add 1/4 cup flour and shredded cheese and mix well. Stir in remaining flour in increments, just until dough forms into a ball. Scoop onto a lightly floured surface and knead dough 6–8 minutes, until smooth and springy, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Shape into a ball, cover with a towel and let rest 10 minutes.
4. Cut dough into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a ball, then place in a greased square baking dish. Cover again and let rise 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Once rolls have risen, bake 20–25 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool slightly, then brush with melted butter and serve.