Perfect for brunch or as an appetizer or side, these tasty fritters are a great way to get more vegetables to the table. Rust came up with the recipe as an alternative to frying. She recommends gluten-free panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs) as an alternative to cornflakes.
1 package frozen spinach (10 ounces), thawed but not drained
1/2 cup cassava flour
1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
3/4 cup chopped leeks or onions
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup avocado oil
3/4 cup crushed unsweetened gluten-free cornflakes, plus extra for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine spinach, eggs, cassava flour, adobo seasoning and pepper. Add cheeses, onion, bell pepper and garlic and stir until ingredients are evenly mixed.
3. Pour avocado oil onto a 9-by-13-inch sheet pan and tilt to coat the entire bottom and sides. Sprinkle crushed cornflakes over the bottom.
4. Dollop spinach mixture onto sheet pan, pressing gently with a spoon or spatula to spread evenly. Sprinkle additional crushed cornflakes over the top.
5. Bake 35 minutes, until browned. Cool until just warm and cut into squares.
Makes 15 pieces.