1 loaf (approximately 12 inches long) French bread
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds shaved cooked ham
3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sliced pimento-stuffed olives
1 tablespoon coarse-ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler on high. Cut loaf of bread in half lengthwise, then slice each length into thirds. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet. Divide olive oil among bread slices, brushing one side of each. Broil 2 minutes, or until toasted.
- Divide ham among toasted bread slices, layering as needed. Place tomato slices on top of ham.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk flour into melted butter and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Slowly add half-and-half, stirring constantly. Whisk in salt, mustard and cheese. Stir until cheese has melted, then remove from heat.
- Divide cheese sauce among sandwiches on baking sheet, pouring sauce over each. Sprinkle each with olives and pepper.
- Return baking sheet to broiler for 5 minutes, or until cheese sauce bubbles.
Servings: 6. Serving size: 1 sandwich. Per serving: 643 calories, 41.8 g protein, 29.5 g fat, 54.7 g carbohydrates, 3.2 g dietary fiber, 2,298 mg sodium, 4.3 g sugars, 77 mg cholesterol
Betsy Kuebler | Farmers EC