This month, we celebrate the humble egg. Readers share time-honored favorites, including a green chile casserole and a classic cheese soufflé. A flock of new cookbooks also showcase the egg’s limitless possibilities. Take the following recipe from The Perfect Egg by Teri Lyn Fisher and Jenny Park. Here, chewy grains of farro, an ancient grain, are tossed with balsamic vinaigrette and a tumble of spring vegetables. (Feel free to substitute shaved carrots, sugar snap peas or even roasted mushrooms.)
A final topping of soft-boiled eggs and aromatic garnishes transform a simple salad into a nourishing, satisfying meal.
No Leafy Greens Salad
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup uncooked farro, rinsed and drained
4 cups chicken stock
8 baby zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
10 French green beans, sliced in half lengthwise
2 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
4 soft-boiled eggs, halved
pistachios and grated lemon zest, for garnish
1. DRESSING: Place all the vinaigrette ingredients except the olive oil into a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
2. Still whisking, pour in the oil in a slow and steady stream. Continue to whisk until the mixture has emulsified. Taste, adjust the seasoning if needed, and set aside until ready to use.
3. SALAD: Pour the farro and stock into a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 30–40 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the grains have softened and split. Drain any remaining liquid and allow the farro to cool, about 1 hour.
4. Fill a small pot with water and bring to a boil. Generously season with salt and drop in the zucchini and French green beans. Blanch 2–3 minutes and then transfer to an ice bath to ensure that the vegetables retain texture and color.
5. Once cooled, drain vegetables and place into a large mixing bowl with the cooked farro and sliced radishes. Drizzle half the vinaigrette over the mixture and toss together (you can reserve the remaining vinaigrette for another use).
6. Top the salad with egg halves, microgreens, crushed pistachios and grated lemon zest, and serve.