Peanuts Contest Winner: Texans love their peanuts, and this month’s recipe submissions were evidence of that! Although many readers’ recipes scored high in testing, here’s our favorite.
Thanks to the Texas Peanut Producers Board for sponsoring this month’s contest.
Marian Evoniuk | Pedernales EC
1 cup Spanish peanuts (no skins), finely chopped
6 cinnamon graham cracker squares, finely crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup, divided
3 1/2 cups heavy cream
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, divided
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar, divided
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine peanuts, graham cracker crumbs, butter and brown sugar. Reserve 1/4 cup for topping. Press remainder into bottom and up sides of a 10-inch pie pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool slightly then drizzle bottom of crust with 1/4 cup of chocolate syrup.
- In a medium bowl, beat heavy cream until frothy. Add granulated sugar and vanilla and beat until peaks are stiff but not dry.
- In a large bowl, beat half of the cream cheese with the peanut butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until fluffy. Add half of the whipped cream and beat until smooth. Pour into crust and drizzle with another 1/4 cup chocolate syrup.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining cream cheese and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until smooth. Add remaining whipped cream and beat until fluffy. Spread over first layer and drizzle with remaining chocolate syrup. Swirl syrup into second layer and top with reserved graham cracker mixture.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. Pie can be frozen. Remove from freezer 1 hour before serving.
Servings: 12. Serving size: 1 slice. Per serving: 612 calories, 9.3 g protein, 48.4 g fat, 39.5 g carbohydrates, 2.3 g dietary fiber, 274 mg sodium, 28.6 g sugars, 126 mg cholesterol