Vickie Wilson | HILCO EC
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided use
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup salted butter (2 sticks), softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped pecans, divided use
48 Rolo candies (or other caramel/chocolate soft candies), unwrapped
Gel-type icing in a tube, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and butter. Beat in vanilla and eggs. By hand or using lowest speed of mixer, gradually mix in flour mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans.
4. Combine remaining 1/2 cup pecans with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in small bowl. With floured hands, shape 1 tablespoon dough around each un-wrapped candy and flatten into cookie shape. Press each cookie into pecan mixture, then place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake 7–10 minutes or until cookies appear set. Let cool completely, then decorate with icing, if desired.
Servings: 24. Serving size: 2 cookies. Per serving: 298 calories, 3.69 g protein, 16.62 g fat, 32.86 g carbohydrates, 1.92 g dietary fiber, 150 mg sodium, 21.47 g sugars, 37 mg cholesterol
If using unsalted butter, add 3/4 teaspoon salt to the recipe. Also, you can try almost any caramel-filled candy as the center.