Nothing tastes better than what you grow yourself, but not all of us have mastered the art of gardening. Thank goodness for farmers markets and CSAs, short for community-supported agriculture. CSA members pay a set fee and in return receive a regularly scheduled “share box” filled with vegetables and recipe cards.
America’s first CSAs started in the 1980s in New England. Today we have thousands. Like CSAs, the number of farmers markets in the U.S. has increased rapidly over the past 20 years. Selling products that might include fresh lavender or artisan cheese, these markets also serve as a springboard for small local food businesses.
This recipe was given to me by a friend, but over the years I’ve changed it around, using different vegetables depending on the season. The one ingredient I use every time is rosemary, which tastes wonderful with the roasted vegetables that enhance the soup’s natural sweetness.
Bev’s Rosemary & Roasted Vegetable Soup
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/2 cup chopped carrots (½-inch pieces)
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup fresh corn
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, optional or as needed
2 cups uncooked rotini pasta
2 cups fully cooked, cubed chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the rosemary, carrots, onion, celery, bell pepper, corn, olive oil and black pepper together in a bowl.
- Spread on a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned around the edges.
- Combine broth and garlic with 1 cup of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in vegetables and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add more broth as needed, plus salt to taste. Add the pasta and let soup simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add the chicken and heat through.
Servings: 6. Serving size: 1 1/3 cups. Per serving: 452 calories, 24.6 g protein, 8 g fat, 72.8 g carbohydrates, 11.2 g dietary fiber, 818 mg sodium, 5 g sugars, 35 mg cholesterol