1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2⁄3 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
Pinch salt, optional
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed and drained, if frozen)
8 slices (1¼ inches thick) Italian bread
1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs, orange peel and juice, 2 tablespoons of sugar and the salt until well blended. Pour into a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the blueberries and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, cut a 1½-inch-wide pocket in the side of each bread slice. Fill pockets with the blueberry mixture, dividing evenly. Place filled slices into the egg mixture. Let stand, turning once, until egg mixture is absorbed, about 5 minutes on each side. Arrange bread on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes, turning slices after 10 minutes. Serve with Blueberry Orange Sauce (recipe follows).
Servings: 4. Serving size: 2 slices. Per serving: 414 calories, 17.7 g protein, 14.2 g fat, 52.1 g carbohydrates, 3.9 g dietary fiber, 457 mg sodium, 17.9 g sugars, 279 mg cholesterol
Blueberry Orange Sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1⁄8 teaspoon salt, optional
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup orange sections (about 2 oranges)
- In a cup combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan bring orange juice and 1/4 cup of water to a boil. Add blueberries and orange sections and return to a boil.
- Cook until liquid is released from fruit, about 2 minutes, then stir in sugar mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes.
Servings: 4. Serving size: About 1/2 cup. Per serving: 92 calories, 0.7 g protein, 0.2 g fat, 23.5 g carbohydrates, 2.1 g dietary fiber, 72 mg sodium, 18.6 g sugars
Source: U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council