Nora Oglesby | Farmers EC
3 or 4 slices of bacon
1 cup butter plus additional for greasing foil
1 box (5 1/4 ounces) club crackers
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 package (24 ounces) chocolate-flavored candy coating
1/4 to 1/3 cup very finely chopped roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry bacon until crisp, then chop into small pieces. Pat with a paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil and butter the foil well. Place the crackers side by side, until the pan is completely covered.
- Combine 1 cup butter with sugar and vanilla in a saucepan. Melt on low, stirring often, until it is completely smooth and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour over the crackers. Spread mixture with a spatula until all crackers are covered.
- Place pan in a preheated oven and bake 10 to 13 minutes until mixture is hot and bubbly and turns a golden caramel color, but not brown. While toffee is baking, coarsely chop the candy coating.
- Remove pan from oven and quickly sprinkle coating on the toffee. Allow to stand 5 minutes until coating melts. Use a spatula to spread coating evenly over the cooked mixture. Immediately sprinkle with bacon and peanuts.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Remove from refrigerator and peel foil from bottom. Cut into bite-size pieces.
Servings: 24. Serving size: 1 piece. Per serving: 301 calories, 2.1 g protein, 17.8 g fat, 31.4 g carbohydrates, 0.3 g dietary fiber, 109 mg sodium, 27.9 g sugars, 21 mg cholesterol
Cook’s Tip: Do not substitute margarine for butter.