Michele Wertz | Bryan Texas Utilities
1/2 pound ground beef (sirloin or round)
1/4 pound ground pork
1/2 cup diced onion, divided use
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon of your favorite herb / spice mixture, divided use
1 slice white bread (crusts removed)
3 tablespoons milk
8 cups beef or chicken broth
1 can small white beans (15 ounces), drained
1 large carrot, diced
3 cups kale, or more to taste, washed and chopped
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine beef, pork, 1/4 cup onion, garlic, salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of the spice mixture in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, moisten the bread with the milk and then add to the meat mixture. Make small (about 1-inch) meatballs and place them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
4. Bake the meatballs about 20 minutes, until firm and lightly browned. Drain excess grease from meatballs and pan.
5. Combine the broth, remaining onion, white beans, diced carrot and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of spice mixture in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then add meatballs and chopped kale. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes, until vegetables are cooked through.