Hog casings for sausage
6 pounds pork
3 pounds beef
3 tablespoons salt
5 teaspoons black pepper
3 teaspoons nutmeg
3 teaspoons mace
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 teaspoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Prepare casings for stuffing by rinsing.
- Cut pork and beef into 1-inch cubes and grind to a medium-coarse texture. Put in a large bowl.
- Combine seasonings and gently mix into the ground meat.
- Use a medium tube in a sausage stuffer and fill casings, twisting into lengths of about 5 inches. Chill links before separating. Sausage can be cooked fresh or frozen for later.
Servings: 18. Serving size: 2 links. Per serving: 414 calories, 45.8 g protein, 21.1 g fat, 1.1 g carbohydrates, 0.4 g dietary fiber, 1,286 mg sodium, 0.2 g sugars, 164 mg cholesterol
Regina Moser, Pedernales Electric Cooperative
- To cook, take about 2 pounds of sausage and prick casings with a fork. Place into a large stockpot along with six 12-ounce cans of beer, 1 1/2 teaspoons of pepper and enough water to cover them. Place the pot over medium heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Grill bratwurst for 10 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Lightly butter 10 hoagie rolls and warm on grill. Serve brats with rolls, spicy mustard and warm sauerkraut.