4 poblano peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 chicken breast half, boiled and shredded
1/2 cup peeled, boiled and cubed potatoes
1/2 cup reduced-fat cheese
- Char poblanos over an open gas flame or in a skillet until skin is blackened and blistered.
- Take care not to burn the flesh of the pepper. Leave them in a sealed paper or plastic bag for 5 minutes. Wearing gloves or using the back of a spoon, carefully peel skin from peppers. Cut a slit in one side of the pepper from top to bottom. Remove seeds and discard. Set pepper aside.
- In a medium pan add olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add mushrooms and garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, black pepper and salt and stir for another minute.
- Add chicken, potatoes and cheese and stir, ensuring all ingredients are combined. If mixture seems too dry, add a bit of water.
- Fill each pepper with the chicken mixture and close the slit with toothpicks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place peppers on a greased baking pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks and serve with fresh pico de gallo.
Servings: 4. Serving size: 1 pepper. Per serving: 205 calories, 20.6 g protein, 8.2 g fat, 13 g carbohydrates, 2.6 g dietary fiber, 731 mg sodium, 3.9 g sugars, 45 mg cholesterol
Elena de la Garza, Pedernales EC