James Feldman | Bandera EC
2 packages sliced bacon (2 pounds)
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1 chopped bell pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Halve bacon slices. Line two 12-count muffin pans with bacon, covering bottom and sides of each cup with two half-slices. Bake for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a second bowl, whisk together milk, butter and eggs. Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture and stir just until mixed (do not overmix). Stir onion, mushrooms and bell pepper into batter.
4. Remove bacon-lined muffin pans from oven and scoop batter into the cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
5. Return pans to oven and continue to bake 20–25 minutes more, until muffins are golden-brown. Let muffins cool slightly after baking, then serve.
Servings: 24. Serving size: 1 muffin. Per serving: 298 calories, 15.81 g protein, 17.19 g fat, 14.22 g carbohydrates, 0.52 g dietary fiber, 952 mg sodium, 2.94 g sugars, 69 mg cholesterol