Millie Kirchoff | Nueces EC
Butter for dish, plus 2 teaspoons extra
8 slices bread, toasted and broken into pieces
1 cup diced sweet bell peppers, green and red
2 green onions, diced, including top
2/3 cup diced onion
1 pound breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
8 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups half-and-half, divided use
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 can cream mushroom soup (10.5 ounces)
1 small can sliced black olives (4 ounces)
1. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and place bread pieces in bottom.
2. Sauté bell peppers and onions in 2 teaspoons butter. Spread pepper mixture and cooked sausage over bread pieces; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, mix eggs, mustard and 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, and pour evenly over mixture in dish. Sprinkle cheeses over the top. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the can of soup and the remaining 1/2 cup of half-and-half, and pour over dish. Sprinkle olives on top and cover loosely with foil.
5. Bake 40–45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Servings: 12. Serving size: 8 ounces. Per serving: 348 calories, 16.73 g protein, 25.38 g fat, 7.28 g carbohydrates, 1.32 g dietary fiber, 665 mg sodium, 1.76 g sugars, 189 mg cholesterol
Top with salsa or picante sauce and serve with fresh fruit.