Ellen Reeder | Central Texas EC
“We were full-time RVers who retired to the Hill Country. We were used to cooking in a portable electric oven on the counter in the RV, so we brought it to the house we purchased. We use the 8-by-8 inch pan because it fits in our electric oven. This recipe could easily be doubled to serve a larger family and baked in a standard oven.”
8 ounces breakfast sausage or chorizo
Salt and pepper
1 bag seasoned croutons (5 ounces)
1 cup shredded hot cheddar cheese (chipotle flavor, for example) 1/4 cup sliced green onion
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon jalapeño mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 ounces chopped canned green chiles
1. Grease an 8-inch square pan or baking dish.
2. Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon; season to taste with salt and pepper as needed. When cooked thoroughly, drain well.
3. While sausage is cooking, cover bottom of baking dish with croutons and sprinkle evenly with cheese and then onions. Spoon browned sausage over the onions.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, milk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and green chiles. This also can be done in a blender.
5. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Servings: 8. Serving size: 6 ounces. Per serving: 330 calories, 15.84 g protein, 21.51 g fat, 14.60 g carbohydrates, 1.05 g dietary fiber, 848 mg sodium, 3.06 g sugars, 117 mg cholesterol