From the mighty habanero to the ever-popular jalapeño, this month’s contest proved once again that readers know their way around the pepper patch. We sampled dozens of dishes (enjoying the heat along the way) and gave the sweet, hot habanero ice cream the highest marks. So leave room for dessert!
Actually, leave room for two—because our featured recipe is also sweet. It’s from Austin’s David Harap, executive recruiter by day, culinary instructor by night, and author of “Entertain Like a Gentleman,” a clever cookbook from a single man’s point of view.
Chipotle Marshmallow Crispy Treats
If you are using fresh chipotle powder, 1 tablespoon should give you enough heat. If your chipotle powder has been in the pantry for a while, use up to 2 tablespoons.
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon chipotle powder, or more to taste
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 ounces marshmallows
2/3 cup dried cranberries
6 cups crispy rice cereal
1. Apply cooking spray to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or line with parchment paper.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat and blend in chipotle powder, paprika and salt.
3. Add marshmallows and cranberries, and stir until marshmallows are completely melted.
4. Remove from heat. Add cereal and stir until coated.
5. Pour mixture into the baking dish and press firmly. Allow to completely cool. Cut into squares and serve.
Servings: 12. Serving size: 1 square. Per serving: 179 calories, 1.56 g protein, 3.01 g fat, 37.57 g carbohydrates, 0.78 g dietary fiber, 197 mg sodium, 19.43 g sugars, 7 mg cholesterol
“Entertain Like a Gentleman” by David Harap, New Year Publishing, 2011