Patricia Raimondo | Pedernales EC
“The apple is an unexpected addition, but it makes the pizza delicious. My family loves this pizza served with a garden salad.”
1 large onion
1 large Granny Smith apple, cored
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 unbaked whole-wheat pizza crust
6-8 slices thin deli ham
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8-10 ounces roasted or smoked pork, shredded
1 cup barbecue sauce, divided use
1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces), divided use
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided use
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray well with cooking spray.
2. Using a mandolin, slice the onion and the apple on the thinnest setting. If you don’t have a mandolin, slice them as thinly as possible with a knife.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with salt and stir. Sauté the onions 8–10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring often.
4. Press pizza crust onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake 6 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven, but leave the oven on.
5. Spread the browned onions evenly across the partially-baked pizza crust. Lay the ham slices in a single layer over the onions, completely covering the crust. Next spread the apples in a single layer over the ham. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, spreading evenly across the pizza.
6. Drizzle the top of the pizza with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Bake pizza another 6–10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden-brown. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Servings: 8. Serving size: 1 slice. Per serving: 107 calories, 6.08 g protein, 7.97 g fat, 2.03 g carbohydrates, 0.32 g dietary fiber, 366 mg sodium, 0.87 g sugars, 20 mg cholesterol