When it comes to popular pizza flavors, pepperoni is the hands-down winner. Surveys taken over the years show that 36 percent of Americans choose pepperoni over other popular toppings, including sausage, mushrooms, cheese and anchovies. It’s hard to argue against pepperoni, given its salty, smoky deliciousness, but sometimes it’s nice to get a little imaginative, so this month we asked readers to submit pizza recipes that go beyond pepperoni. This Naan Vegetable Pizza from “The Modern Kosher Kitchen” by Ronnie Fein fits that description.
Naan Vegetable Pizza
2 cups cauliflower pieces, broken very small
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 naan breads or pita rounds
1/4 cup mango chutney, or more to taste
2 large carrots, lightly steamed and chopped
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Gouda cheese
1/4 cup chopped red pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper.
2. Place cauliflower pieces on the cookie sheet, pour the olive oil on top and toss the pieces to coat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and curry powder. Roast about 20 minutes, turning once or twice or until the cauliflower is softened and just beginning to brown. Remove the cauliflower from the cookie sheet and set aside.
3. Place naan breads on the cookie sheet. Spread a thin layer of chutney on each slice of naan.
4. Scatter the cauliflower and carrots on top. Scatter the mozzarella and Gouda cheeses over the vegetables and top with red pepper (if using).
5. Bake about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are hot, the cheese has melted and the pizzas look toasty. Makes 16 appetizer-size slices or two personal pizzas.
Servings: 8. Serving size: 2 appetizer-size slices. Per serving: 162 calories, 7.90 g protein, 6.41 g fat, 20.14 g carbohydrates, 5.52 g dietary fiber, 300 mg sodium, 11.38 g sugars, 13 mg cholesterol
Reprinted from “The Modern Kosher Kitchen” (Fair Winds Press, 2014) by Ronnie Fein
Watch a video of Food Editor Anna Ginsberg as she makes Naan Vegetable Pizza.