Patsy Keys | Jasper-Newton EC
When I tested this one for the contest, my daughter requested I make it again! What a fun take on pizza. —AG
2 frozen 9-inch deep-dish pie crusts
1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided use
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar, divided use
1/2 cup mild salsa
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1/2 cup diced bell peppers
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced jalapeño peppers, fresh or mild pickled, seeds removed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Allow the pie crusts to thaw 15 minutes, then prick with a fork. Prebake the crusts 10 minutes and let cool. Sprinkle a thin layer of mozzarella cheese over each cooled crust.
2. Meanwhile, mix together beef and turkey with salt and taco seasoning. Brown in a large skillet until fully cooked, then drain well.
3. Add 1/2 cup of each of the cheeses along with the salsa and pizza sauce to the cooked meat mixture, and spread the mixture evenly across the pie crusts.
4. Sprinkle bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and jalapeños over the meat. Top with remaining cheese.
5. Bake the pies 25–35 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and crust is golden.
Servings: 12. Serving size: 1 slice. Per serving: 357 calories, 21 g protein, 24 g fat, 14 g carbohydrates, 0.87 g dietary fiber, 595 mg sodium, 2.34 g sugars, 73 mg cholesterol
For a pie that holds together nicely, bake one day, cover and refrigerate overnight. Score pie the next day while cold and reheat at 350 degrees about 15 minutes or until hot throughout.