Elaine Pearson | O’Donnell, Lyntegar EC
This recipe has long been a family favorite, says Pearson, although she’s tweaked the old standby over the years. “I have added and taken away until it is just right for us,” she says.
1 can (14 ounces) sour cherries, drained and chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons tapioca
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cherry juice
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
Red food coloring (optional)
2 9-inch pie crusts, unbaked
Ground nutmeg, to taste
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, cut into small chunks
Cinnamon to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine the cherries, tapioca, sugar, cherry juice, almond extract, salt and food coloring, if using, in a mixing bowl and let mixture stand for a few minutes.
3. Pour into an unbaked pie crust that has been lightly dusted with nutmeg. Dot with butter.
4. Cut second crust into strips and make lattice-type top crust. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and sugar.
5. Bake until bubbly and nicely browned.