Sherry Krupinski | Benefits Manager
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup rinsed quinoa
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
1 zucchini, chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tomato, chopped
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Juice from 1 lime
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Chop and prepare all ingredients in advance. (Once you start cooking, it moves pretty fast.)
- Place chicken broth and quinoa in a saucepan. Over high heat, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer the quinoa until the broth is absorbed and the white line on each grain is visible, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet on medium high. Add the garlic and onion and cook about 5 minutes, until the onion is clear.
- Add the chopped chicken breast and cook until chicken is almost completely cooked, about five minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside, leaving juices in the skillet.
- Add the 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil to the chicken juices in the skillet. Cook the zucchini, mushrooms and tomato until tender, 5 to 8 minutes depending on the amount of vegetables used.
- Return chicken to the skillet and add fresh basil and lime juice. Heat until the chicken is completely cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the feta cheese and heat until melted, about five more minutes.
- Serve hot, over hot quinoa.
Servings: 8. Serving size: 8 ounces. Per serving: 336 calories, 24.05 g protein, 15.12 g fat, 23.16 g carbohydrates, 2.47 g dietary fiber, 536 mg sodium, 2.25 g sugars, 68 mg cholesterol
- Use as many vegetables as you like in this recipe.